Thursday 5th November 2015, ICOSS Conference Room
The day included the following sessions:
- Seminar discussion of Al-Jawad, M. (2013) ‘Comics are Research: Graphic Narratives as a New Way of Seeing Clinical Practice’ (Matt Cheeseman, University of Sheffield)
- Literary criticism (Alex Broadhead, University of Liverpool)
- Applied comics in research drawing on methodologies from the Phoenix project and critiquing Graphic Medicine (Matt Cheeseman, University of Sheffield)
- Focus groups and close reading research on the portrayal of mental health in graphic novels (Richard Finn, University of Sheffield).
- Public communication (appliedcomicsetc.com)
As well as a number of practical comic expercises.
A storify of the day’s training can be found here: comics-training-day-at-focussheffield